The definition of (‘iddah) The Legal Waiting Period: are the days when a separated woman waits for her husband, or he dies, so she does not marry.
The Legal Waiting Period according to the Syrian Personal Status Law:
- Divorced women who are not pregnant are three months after divorce.
- Three months for a woman who has menopause.
- Four months and ten days for woman whose her husband died.
- The pregnant woman continues on The Legal Waiting Period until giving birth.
- A divorced woman before her husband marries her does not have Legal Waiting Period, except that she has to sit in Legal Waiting Period for her deceased husband before her husband marrying her.
- If the husband dies, and the woman in the revocable divorce, she shall pass to Widowed Waiting Period, and the previous period shall not be calculated.
- The Legal Waiting Period starts from the date of divorce, death, or judicial separation in an unlawful marriage.